- You are here
- Parent and Carer Information
- Attendance & Punctuality
Attendance & Punctuality
The timings of the Academy day
Registration is in the morning at 8.30 am which is preceded by a warning bell at 8.25 am. We expect all students to arrive at the Academy by 8:25 am and to be at their tutor bases by 8.30 am.
Students must additionally ensure that they are punctual to all lessons as poor punctuality to lessons can result in a truancy mark. The timings of the Academy day is in all student planners.
Excellent attendance is important because...
We want all students to take advantage of the opportunities provided by the Academy. Evidence shows that there is a direct link between poor attendance and underachievement. Students not in school are more at risk of failing to achieve. In addition, they run a greater risk of getting involved in crime or becoming victims of crime.
The law requires that parents/carers are responsible for ensuring that their children attend school and are on time. This guide will explain clearly what our expectations are regarding attendance and punctuality and how we will deal with any problems or issues to do with your son or daughter in this area.
Attendance and Punctuality
We expect your child to be in the Academy every day on time unless:
- He/She is too ill to attend;
- He/She has a medical appointment that can only be made in Academy hours;
- Other extreme circumstances where permission has been agreed by the Principal.
This is where your child has been absent and the absence has not been explained, or we do not consider the reason for the absence to be acceptable.
This occurs when your child misses school without authorisation or registers for school but does not then attend lessons. We will not accept truancy and we will inform you of any suspected truancy. We will place your child in a Coordinators detention for a single incident of truancy or deliberate lateness to lessons, giving you 24 hours of notice in writing.
Leave of absence in Term Time
We do not authorise holidays during term time, ever. If you require your son/daughter to be absent from the Academy for extreme circumstances you will need to request a leave of absence application form from the Student Information Centre.
The Principal will consider these requests on an individual basis taking into account the student’s attendance record and the circumstances surrounding the request.
What will we do to monitor attendance and punctuality?
- We will contact you on the first day of absence, at home or work, if you have not previously informed us of the reason why your child is absent;
- Send you an absence letter if we have not been able to contact you after 3 days;
- Send you attendance and punctuality statistics each half term as part of our progress reports;
- Contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss any concerns we have over attendance and persistent issues with punctuality.
Fixed Penalty Notices
- Any student late to the Academy, arriving after 9.00 am, 5 or more times, in any one half term, will mean that a fixed penalty notice will be issued. A warning letter will be sent after the 3rd occasion;
- Any parent who takes their child on a leave of absence without Academy authorisation will be sent a fixed penalty notice upon the child’s return;
- Any student with less than 90% attendance with any unauthorised absence will be sent a warning letter and if no improvement is made then a fixed penalty notice will be issued.
Guidance for parents/carers
- Reinforce our expectations regarding full attendance and excellent punctuality with your child;
- Support Academy staff when we take action over punctuality or truancy, for example, issuing detentions;
- Let us know of any change in contact details immediately;
- Contact the Academy to inform us about any absence, the same day if possible;
- Ensure that your child completes any work that has been sent home or that he catches up with any work that he has missed.
Contacting the Academy
Please contact us as soon as possible to inform us of any absence the same day.
To report any absence, inform us of any future absence or advise us of changes to contact details, please contact the Academy and ask to speak to the Student Information Centre on 020 8662 6644 who will take the necessary details.
Any other issues or concerns should be made to your child’s form tutor who will who deal with these in the first instance.