Home Learning is a key part of our curriculum which not only develops students' knowledge but also develops independent learning skills vital for success as they progress through their education. This page explains the importance of home learning and how it works at Harris Academy Beckenham.
Why does home learning matter?
- It provides students with the opportunity to review and consolidate their learning to ensure it is not forgotten
- It also provides students with the chance to extend and build upon their knowledge
- It develops students’ independence; ability to organise and manage their time as well as a sense of responsibility and self-discipline.
- It supports a valuable learning link between home and school.
How is home learning set and submitted?
- Teacher sets home learning and explains verbally in lesson.
- Students make a note of task and deadline using their planner.
- Details and any supporting resources are uploaded to Microsoft Teams for students to access - these appear as assignments for students.
- Additional information regarding home learning is available on the website
- In English, Maths and Science - students also have home learning that takes place via an app
How can my child view home learning on Microsoft Teams?
Please visit this PAGE to download a guide to using Microsoft Teams. It will help your child get started so they can access Teams and check assignment details
How much home learning should my child receive?
- KS3 (Year 7, 8 and 9): 1 hour 30 minutes of app home learning per week. This is 30 min on Bedrock, 30 minutes on Tassomai and 1 hour on Hegarty per week. In addition students have 3 Big Question home learning tasks per week. These should take 1-2 hours to complete.
- KS4 (Years 10 and 11): 1 hour per week per subject (minimum). (English, Maths and Science should have 2 a week)
- KS5 (Years 12 and 13): A level: A minimum of 6 hour’s homework for each subject per week
With Kind Regards,
J Goulds I Assistant Principal I Harris Academy Beckenham I Manor Way, Beckenham, Kent, BR3 3SJ
E-Mail email@example.com I Telephone 0208 650 8694 Ext 7125