Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Our Learning Ethos
At Harris Academy Beckenham, we are determined to meet the demand from parents in this part of the borough for secondary education with energy, drive and ambition.
This means our school will have:
- A personal best culture in which parents are confident their son or daughter is being fully stretched and developed
- Emphasis on the traditional values of good manners, strong discipline and smart uniform – as well as the best of modern teaching methods and technology
- Teaching that is consistently good and outstanding
- An Academy that nurtures strong interpersonal skills and the aspiration to be successful
- The support and structures to inspire the best in every student, whether they need to be stretched, are struggling, or are somewhere in the middle
- An admissions system that welcomes students of every academic ability
- A culture of involving parents fully with their children’s education and school life in general
- A smart, neat and affordable Academy uniform
- Students and staff that become established as trusted and reliable faces in the local community
- Active support from the Harris Federation, a charity with a clear track record in developing outstanding schools
There is a Faculty Structure (a bit like a House System) with every student being assigned to a Faculty on their first day at the Academy. There will be healthy competition between Faculties though sport, academic achievement and positive contributions to Academy life. This structure promotes a sense of belonging and a spirit of fun within each student’s education.
Academy statement of British values
At Harris Academy Beckenham we take very seriously our responsibility to prepare students for life in modern Britain. We ensure that the fundamental British Values are introduced, discussed and lived out through the ethos and work of the Academy.
All curriculum areas provide a vehicle for developing a comprehensive understanding of these concepts and, in particular, our Tutor and Assemblies Programme, Innovation days and RE curriculum provide excellent opportunities to deepen and develop appreciation of these core values. Students embrace these concepts with enthusiasm and demonstrate a good understanding of their application to their own lives.
Our Academy makes considerable efforts to ensure students have exposure to a wide experience beyond their local community during which these concepts are shown, through for example, Harris Experience, Student Commission, sporting events, a range of visits and use of outdoor education centres. We also foster and promote a culture and ethos of tolerance and understanding which gives students an excellent platform for embracing difference.’