Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Homework is a key part of our curriculum which not only develops students' knowledge but also develops independent learning skills vital for success as they progress through their education. This page explains the importance of homework and how it works at Harris Academy Beckenham.
Why does homework matter?
- It provides students with the opportunity to review and consolidate their learning to ensure it is not forgotten
- It also provides students with the chance to extend and build upon their knowledge
- It develops students’ independence; ability to organise and manage their time as well as a sense of responsibility and self-discipline.
- It supports a valuable learning link between home and school.
How is homework set and submitted?
- Teacher sets homework and explains verbally in lesson.
- Students make a note of task and deadline using their planner.
- Details and any supporting resources are uploaded to Microsoft Teams for students to access - these appear as assignments for students.
- Homework is submitted on Microsoft Teams - it is not currently handed to teachers following health and safety precautions.
How can my child view and submit homework on Microsoft Teams?
Please visit this PAGE to download a guide to using Microsoft Teams. It will help your child get started so they can access Teams, check assignment details and hand in their assignments.
How much homework should my child receive?
- KS3 (Year 7, 8 and 9): At least 30 minutes per subject per week (English, Maths and Science should have 2 a week)
- KS4 (Years 10 and 11): 1 hour per week per subject (minimum). (English, Maths and Science should have 2 a week)
- KS5 (Years 12 and 13): A level: A minimum of 6 hour’s homework for each subject per week